Thursday, January 9, 2014

2- Tour Bus Horrors



Ah, yes, the tour bus. This can be the nexus of all things touristy and tacky on a holiday, or, a welcome, guiding, light for tourists who would otherwise be lost, or unsafe, in a foreign land. I have been to Hong Kong four times in my life. I have much nostalgia attached to the place, not only because of having been there with family, and friends, but also because of the culture per se. There's so much great dimsum to be had its crazy. If you're into Western Food, they've got that too. Go to the New Territories and small neighborhoods and you get a slice of Chinese/Hong Kong culture which is clawed, scratched, and kicked its way towards survival despite the onslaught of modernity. And oh yes, I am in love with the music of the late Teresa Teng. Some may find that odd, but, hey, I've got a lot of Taiwanese, Chinese, and downright hardcore fans on my side. Beat that. 

*Sidenote- "Comrades: Almost a Love Story" is one of the best romantic dramas ever made. Peter Chan, I salute you. 

I am one with the travel philosophy which encourages tourists to "do as the locals do", and "go off the beaten path", or, at least, be willing to look beyond the usual tourist hoo-has. I admit that even after four trips to the land of the fragrant harbor, I still find myself wanting to explore more of the back alleys of HK. Which brings me back to the idea of the tour bus... Hong Kong city tours tend to lie on the cheesy side, and tend to involve guides who are all about making a buck off of you. I advise solo travelers, families in town to go to Disneyland, go shopping, or eat themselves into oblivion to AVOID going on your run-of-the-mill Hong Kong city tours. These tour operators will never take you to Hawker Centers to have Chili (or Hairy) Crab, nor will they go to places like Tai Po Market or some back alley eatery in Yau Ma Tei. Those, you have to find on your own, and yes, the adventure, the journey towards doing so, makes everything that much more of a thrill. Just like a good bag of chips, to that I say- try it, you'll love it! 

Do Hong Kong on your own before another tour bus guide sells you another pack of Hong Kong keychains at a "bargain", or, threatens to put your goofy picture on a plastic plate for posterity's sake. For the keychains and other knick knacks, there's the Mongkok Night Market. For the pictures, you have your camera. For personalized photobooks, and picture frames, there's your local mall. For more on very "personal" anecdotes on fried stuff they've had in Kowloon, crazy MTR stories, and how some have found the Sha Tin Snoopyworld statues absolutely adorable, there is Tripadvisor.Com. 

Get my drift? 

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment