Thursday, February 18, 2016

98- Joy.


With Steph and our super pal Bianca at Unilab and the Philippine Rheumatology Association's "Rayuma Run" 2016



Like a lot of people who are addicted to running, I try to follow a training schedule to keep me focused.

When I train, I work to equate my effort with a sense of joy. Joy is a powerful driving force. Without joy, you can tend to regress into a sense of complacency about how far, and how strongly, you can go.

Running provides me with a sense of freedom and bliss which I'd be hard pressed to find in a lot of other aspects of living. Training solo provides me with enough space to collect my thoughts and calm my soul. Staying fit, of course, is a huge benefit that comes as a result of the constant training.

I've participated in athletic endeavors in the past, activities that one would normally associate with guys (basketball, weight training, etc.). Running and running well requires a different sort of discipline, though.

With my first 42km run coming up in less than 48 hours, I can't help but feel nervous, but happy, too, that God's given me the strength to run like I do.

It's quite pleasant to view my running journey "in retrospect". At the same time, I can't rest on my laurels too much. My tryst is far from over.

The prospect of experiencing new things, running new trails and paths, with the wind blowing against my face, is enough to make me want to keep moving, keep going strong.

That is what "joy" is all about.

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment