Friday, August 25, 2017

128- Wandering

One of my favorite activities is wandering. Well, I suppose my version of wandering is not pure in that, I often go to new places with some semblance of a plan. I don't just bust through the doors without any sense of what I'd like to do or where I'd like to go.

The UK makes for a great country to wander in. Compared to where I'm from, transportation links are outstanding. You can get most picturesque places in the country by bus or train. There is often more than enough to see and do within a span of a couple of hours.

I currently reside in London, and this city in itself is choc full of new experiences. I often find myself on a tight budget, so, I've learned how to cut corners without diminishing the awesomeness of my trips. Here are a few things I've learned over the course of taking trips on my own which have helped me maximize my time and effort.

I. Supermarkets are your friend

It is often tempting to visit new towns or cities and find yourself trying every cafe or restaurant you see. I am not even talking about having full meals in every joint. A lot of "tourists" find themselves buying everything from sandwiches, to water, to croissants in restaurants and cafes. Here in the UK, there tend to be Tesco, Sainsbury's, Coop, and Aldi branches at every corner. Leveraging the ubiquity of these establishments is key. It would be worthwhile, for instance, to have a sampling of Whitstable's amazing seafood from the town's best known restaurants and/or food stalls, but for everything else (like getting energy bars, sandwiches, and drinks to sustain you over your long walks), make sure to grab your supplies from the place's local grocer. That should save you a few bucks while allowing you to stay conscious and stable for when you need snap great photos at Brighton beach, or, take in the stunning views at the White Cliffs of Dover.

On an added note, it also helps to bring a thermos/tumbler with water or an electrolyte beverage from home. That should help you save even more money.

II. Have a mobile phone with internet connectivity, and don't forget to bring a power bank

This may sound as basic as heck, but you'll be surprised at how many travelers forget to equip themselves with web-ready devices and spare power sources in case these devices' batteries bog down quicker than expected. My sense of direction sometimes leaves much to be desired, so, I am a frequent users of Google Maps and/or Citymapper. Navigation apps can save your life, believe me. I once got lost in Rome at night and was followed by a bunch of junkies while being lost as heck, so yeah, apps and mobile communication devices are very, very, important.

III. Don't be afraid to shop around for tickets- early

When planning a trip, planning early can save you a lot of money. Moreover, checking on multiple sources for train, bus, and plane tickets can reap a lot of benefits. Don't grab at the first option you come across. There may very well be something better out there.

IV. Don't be scared to ask

When all else fails, it is sometimes still best to locals for directions, tips for where to eat, and tips on locations to visit. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do research beforehand, though.

V. Tourist, but not a tourist

When visiting a new place, be a tourist, in the sense that you should always keep an open mind. When visiting a new place, don't be a tourist in the sense that you shouldn't fall into tourist traps, and confine yourself to staying within "paved streets". Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path- so long as you are able to maintain a general semblance of safety at all times. :) In short, don't take dumb risks.

I've got a few months left as a resident of the UK. I intend to make the most of that time as a professional, and of course, as a traveler. Correction, as a wanderer. After that, well, it's off to who-knows-where for me.

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment