Tuesday, December 27, 2016

118- Lazarus

Shame that I could not take photos, as doing such was barred.

Lazarus felt like watching an extended David Bowie music video. My artistic mind, not absent of any interest in the craft, nor totally ignorant of it, tried  very hard to decode the meanings behind what was put on stage before. Maybe it was because I hadn't bothered to research on the story of "The Man Who Fell to Earth", or, perhaps it was because I had not eaten a proper lunch before entering King's Cross Theatre. A viewer would need to have a very keen eye for detail, and some background knowledge on Bowie beyond the usual in order to not get lost in the initial, euphoric, throes of Lazarus. The use of some Bowie classics such as Heroes and Sound and Vision in the production made me smile. The confusion etched across the face of Thomas Newton, the play's main character. His yearning to be free, and him being forlorn from his one true love- all of it was akin to a rusty steak knife being thrust through your back. Not fun if you're the stabbee. Acting to marvel at if you are part of the theatre audience.

I have around a year to go in London, and while some days have been gloomy, with timescales difficult to measure and manage due to short days and longer nights, having great art within arm's length is something that helps keep me sane. That, and healthy food being readily available in groceries (Philippine supermarkets are not as accomodating).

I have always been a fan old David Bowie- especially of portions of his work from the 70s and 80s. Having watched Lazarus today, though, made me realize that I have a lot more to learn about a man who was more myth than mortal, a bit more alien than Earthling.

What if we are all swimming around perpetually in fishbowl, a tank

No comments:

Post a Comment