Tuesday, April 15, 2014

37- Miri

I am intrigued by Miri- both because it is now an Air Asia route, and because, well, I have a thing for places off the beaten path.

In 1910, Miri was the site of Malaysia's very first oil well. Miri is also the site of Shell Berhad and Petronas Carigali. The place, apparently, is teeming with expats- an interesting thing to note given that Miri is technically a "provincial" area.

According to some more web research I have done, Miri is often used as a stop over point on the way to Kelabit Highlands and Gunung Mulu National Park. As with other parts of Malaysia, Miri has its share of Malay, Iban, Chinese, and people of other ethnicities too. For all of the talk about Miri being an international hub, I find it a bit funny that there are no money changers at Miri's airport.

So here I am with this slightly boring, unimaginative, entry on Miri because I find that I need to get some leverage. If this were a fight, I need a second wind. Lately, s been hard for me to make amends with my "travel self". I need to shake off this funk. I need to refocus on what really matters in life.

To explore. To experience. To recall. To believe.

A year ago, I felt that.

I need to comprehend all that again.

MC


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment