Thursday, April 17, 2014

39- Autogrill



Above is a snapshot of the A1 Motorway in Italy. If I remember correctly, this was taken during my bus ride from Montecassino, to Rome (I believe that it was a 2-3 hour trip by land). 

I've said it many times- based on what I had experienced, I can safely claim that I had fallen, and still am, in love with Italy. I mean, how could you not? Going through Italy- its many ancient streets, the smell of freshly baked bread, garlic simmering in Olive Oil, and other wonderful spices, in the air, the smiles of many a beautiful person greeting you- is like listening to a Norah Jones song on repeat while being hooked up to the most grandiose, and the most enthralling part of The Matrix (the literal Matrix, mind you). I don't think I will ever forget April 2013 for the rest of my days. Even being lost in Rome during your first day exploring it is better than sword swinging against Bill Gates' minions, at the office- Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Powerpoint, I'm talking to you. 

Looking at the photograph of the A1 Motorway now reminds me of Autogrill. Oh yes, Autogrill. I fondly remember the wonders of your very "unfoodcourt-like" fare. 




 So, check these out.

The first photo above is a bowl of Seafood Minestrone Soup/Stew. The stuff had a healthy amount of whole baby squid, shrimps, and what tasted like pieces of grouper. Good stuff.

Below the picture of the Minestrone Soup is a Garden Salad, with Feta Cheese and assorted fruits (dates, grapes, etc.). For sentimental value, I decided to grab me a bottle of Fanta Lemon Soda. Fanta had been phased out in the Philippines years ago, so, it was only natural for me to get a bottle of Fanta not only as a great drink pairing for my stew and salad, but, also so that I could rekindle a piece of my childhood that had gotten lost in the time-space continuum.

Not bad for gas station fare. Having food like this readily available to drivers, commuters, and tourists puts a lot of our "Treats", "Shell Select", and other highway convenience store foolishness, to utter shame. This was how you probably had dreamt of eating when you dragged yourself out of bed at 5 o'clock this morning to go on a family holiday.

Today, I finally managed to read up a bit more on Autogrill. Apparently, Autogrill is a Italy-based catering firm that is 59% owned by the Benettons (yep, look at your t-shirt). Apart from Italy, Autogrill also has branches in North America, and other parts of Europe. 90% of the company's revenue is said to emanate from motorway and airport-based sales- from blokes like me who'd prefer to eat a REAL meal as opposed to some processed tuna or chicken monstrosity.

This post may seem rather inane to readers outside the Philippines, but, believe you me- my experiences with freeway food locally have not always been pleasant. Given that, this run-in with Autogrill in Italy was a welcome experience. For all of the hullabaloo associated with going to restaurants behind the proverbial Velvet Rope, and places which can be said to be A-class, or, "coat and tie", to find food this good, or at least halfway decent, with the smell of petrol fresh on your heels, was quite remarkable.

It is Good Friday today, and next to nothing is open in Metropolitan Manila. You would have to venture out into the freeways leading to adjacent provinces to find Pizza Hut, McDonalds, or KFC branches blasphemous enough to serve fried beef, pork, and chicken on Good Friday- not that you'd go that far for a Big Mac.

Or would you?

Perhaps if we adopted an Autogrill approach to how we do "fast food" in the Philippines, we'd be better off.
Petrol smells and airport buzzing notwithstanding.

MC




No comments:

Post a Comment