Monday, May 12, 2014

44- Amsterdam

Amsterdam. April 2013.

It was cold, really cold. I am a kid from the tropics, and so, the weather in Amsterdam at that time of year totally gave the expression “shiver me timbers” a whole new meaning.
Within my first 2-3 days in Europe, I felt like I couldn’t- and shouldn’t- ever leave to go back to the life I had left behind.

Of course, I did still ride my KLM and Korean Air flights on April 30th. I still did go home to my dogs, my sister, my dad, and my warm bed after a few weeks in the clouds. It was inevitable that I did. This life does not look upon spur-of-the-moment choices with much aplomb- even if some spur-of-the-moment choices end up being the best choices one ever makes.

I stayed with my mom and youngest sister in Amphora Bed and Breakfast. The owners of the place, Greet and Niels, provided us with everything we needed for a few intrepid Filipinos to be able to survive the Amsterdam cold- and then some. My sister had all the Nutella she could eat, and I downed some really good apple and cranberry juice on a regular basis. We never opened the television during our stay, maybe because we always felt like we had so many things to talk about and stuff about the city which we had to look up online via our tablets and Smartphones.


Here are a few snapshots of the place. Quite simple, tastefully decorated, and homey. No wonder it has won best B and B in Amsterdam once before. 



The fascade of Amphora. My face looks really pale here. No accident. I was freezing my nose off here. Cryogenic treatments, anyone? 


                          A quaint little dining area. I love the eclectic and whimsical decor. 




                                                             Again, simple elegance.


I initially noticed a number of things about Amsterdam that might surprise the first timer. The city's Red Light District, interestingly enough, was populated at night by tour groups with participants ranging from senior citizens to, gasp, pre-teens. Well, I guys that's just how open and liberal they can be over there. It's a matter of how you regulate and contextualize things, I suppose. 

Speaking of how things are regulated and contextualized, marijuana is legal in Amsterdam. One of the first things a tour guide (Terry) I met over there told me was to be wary about taking coffee in just any coffee shop. The reason? There are apparently a lot of coffee shops that mix in weed with their offerings as a staple practice. I don't mind a caffeine high, but the other kind of high? I think I'll pass. Maybe not on a regular basis at least. 


Apart from having a Sex Museum, a Museum of Modern Art, a Museum of Medieval Art, and a museum for everything else in between, there were, surprisingly, a lot of Medieval Torture museums in Amsterdam (and in other parts of Europe that I managed to visit). Above is a photograph of me at one such place in Damrak 33. Ironically, this place was just a stone's throw away from a coffee shop, a local tourist center, and, a Sex Museum. That kind of layout makes for an interesting exposure trip for Little Johnny. Have some coffee, see Phallic Symbols and Bare Bosoms, and Heads on a Stake, all in one go! How exciting! 

I love being exposed to different kinds of culture. That's why I love travelling. That's why I love being part of a good adventure. 

One of the things I miss most about Europe would probably be the fact that every street corner seemed to talk to me. Every street corner, every building, every home, seemed to have a unique voice that spoke to me about enthralling, bygone eras, I could only marvel at previously through books, movies, and yes, general daydreaming.






Yes, Amsterdam was fantastic. The city, as did Rome, "spoke" to me. It's a shame I only a few days to soak everything in. 

I've said this a lot on this blog, and yes, I will say it again here. I will be back. 

My passport and visas have been in hibernation lately. Best I rev up the traveling man's engine again and strive to get lost- to go far, far, away from all things judgmental and unrelentingly cynical and weak. 

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment