Thursday, May 29, 2014

47- Boracay

There will be no fancy photos here.

Maybe this entry comes on the heels of the summertime in the Philippines slowly descending into the bottom of the sea.

Or maybe not.

Boracay is one of the Philippines' crown jewels for tourism. Granted, it does have pristine beaches and the island does have a 24 by 7 vibe to it.

This brings me to my main point- why am I not interested?

Okay, perhaps I am all about boring and all about ennui. Or maybe, there's something else about it.

People watching can be fun, and heck, there is extra incentive tied in to people-watching especially when the people you watch are pretty, pretty, folk. Partying can  be fun, a lot of fun, but where do we set limits to this? When does partying, being whimsical, become laughable?

Maybe I just tend to eschew "mainstream" in general, that's why I don't consider myself, or ever want to be, fully indoctrinated into the "Boracay" crowd.

Call me old fashioned, but, I'd rather go on cultural treks and go museum hopping rather than partying for 3 days straight.

If Boracay's the best of our tourist spots, then, we've got a lot of work to do. There's so much more to our nation's culture that people shaking wildly to Arman Van Buren.

(In some ways, the Arman Van Buren reference is, in itself, old school)

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment