Tuesday, April 19, 2016

105- Food Dreams and Memories


                 Char Kway Teow from Old Airport Road Hawker Center, Singapore. March 2015.


The day's finally come.

After missing out of the the WSFC in Singapore in previous years, the World Street Food Congress has finally come to my hometown, Manila. While I don't really fancy queuing up in the heat to sample food that's even hotter, bear one thing in mind- good things come to those who wait. Patience is a virtue after all- yada, yada, yada.

I have fond memories and Singapore and Malaysia the cuisines of the region. I have fond memories of me eating with my cousin, significant other, and friends (most of whom have been locals) in hawker centers and restaurants in the aforementioned countries. Some of the best moments are those formed without you necessarily thinking that such moments will end up comprising parts of stories you will tend to go back to over and over again in the future. Most times, you think of certain meet ups and trysts to specialty outlets simply as special walks, runs, and fly-bys to help you while away time.

Before you know it, you have to haul yourself to the airport, and fly back into the spike filled arms of reality.

Bet you wish could get back those mugs of pulled tea and beef rendang now, huh?

Maybe I should correct myself. Maybe I would be willing to queue up at the World Street Food Congress for a plate or two of the good stuff. I just need to make sure I have a bottle of water and a decent companion with me while I'm at it.

And with that, everyone goes home happy- and full.

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment