Thursday, January 4, 2018

146- Impatience

I like to read. I m fascinated by the stories books tell. I am, however, notoriously impatient when it comes to going through thick volumes of text. I have come to a point in my life wherein I just can't stand extremely wordy bits of text. My eyes hurt whenever I go through diminutive lines of text. My head aches at the prospect of reading something 500 pages long. I often find myself wanting to learn- through bite size pieces of knowledge, anyway.

I love that London seems to put a premium on providing the public with access to information. There are libraries everywhere. There are museums for most every topic one can conceive of. It's beautiful, really, that emphasis is placed on broadening one's horizons.

I visit libraries here once in a while to stimulate my mind. I ocassionally find myself reading a book in bed, or at a branch of Pret A Manger. My impatience leads me to go through several books simultaneously. This isn't the ideal setup, but it is better than a total mind block.

My restlessness might be a generational thing (my predisposition on digital innovations which tend to totally smash a person's attention span), or a byproduct of my insomnia, or, being a daysleeper. Maybe it's because I sometimes prefer to do rather than to bask in the glory of reflection. Both avenues have their share of merits, and downsides.

Writing this blog post, in itself, has tested my patience. It is not because I hate writing or am unwilling to share my views on matters of note. It is more because I have a trillion different things on my mind now. I'll be leaving London soon. That too has made me restless. I want to get all the packing and sightseeing and final commitments, over with. Shed the tears, say your goodbyes, and fly. I know I am just saying that because I immersed "in the moment". It is in hindsight when we often realize that the roads we take en route to our final destination are more remarkable than we had ever considered them to be.

Enough with this rambling. On to the next task. My unrelenting debate with productivity compels me to find something to do.

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment