Sunday, August 24, 2014

60- Travel Journals, Part 2


A few hours ago, I found myself lunching with some family members. It's my aunt's birthday today so it was only natural that we celebrate in some shape or form. 

Had me a great cappuccino to soothe the soul and awaken the nerves. 

I now find myself in a basketball arena full of rabid fans thinking of two things:

1) A win for my team.
2) Traveling. 

I can't help but daydream. After all, this past long weekend was supposed to have represented a new entry in my travelogue if not for the threat of overtime work and considerations related to expenses. 

To inspire you to volley the ball as far as the end line would allow, one has to be aware of how far one has come from hardly being able to carry a ball, to being in the best position to send it home for a rally point. 

So here I go. 

After San Diego, came...

The Netherlands, 2013:

Oh my goodness, this place was cold. Lots of sexual innuendo- as expected. Great food in modest portions. An amazing hostess in Miss Greet and Mr. Niels. Little cars, and smaller streets. Albert Hejin (or I think that's how I remember the spelling to be). Produce so fresh that one can't help but want to eat healthy. Hail. Tourist friendly locals. Bikes, canals, and the red light district. Legalized prostitution-lord have mercy. 
Terry O'Leary- an amazing tour guide. City tour on foot- like traveling through time. Laurie and Bert Engels as walking tour buddies. The Anne Frank House. Lijnbansgracht (forgive me if I have spelled that wrongly). A great prelude to Italy. Schipol is what NAIA in the Philippines should aspire to be like. 

Italy, 2013: 

Ah, Italy. Jospehine, Carl, Sarah, Ed, Giuseppe, and many others. Cosmos. Hotel Buenos Aires. The cobblestone streets of old time Florence. Countless, beautiful, churches. Piazzas that tell thousands of stories over what seems to be thousands of years. La Vaticana. An encounter with Pope Francis that was not to be. Getting lost in Rome at night- scary. Piazza Della Republica- witnessed changing of the guard. Making every moment spent being suspended in time- count, forever to be remembered IN time. Wacky kids on a field trip in Poggibonsi. The Amalfi Coast. Cable Car-ing in Ana Capri. Chinese Food in Naples with Kelly and Rita. Shootout near our Naples Hotel- a close encounter with Italy's answer to Cee-Lo Green. Tearful farewells to people you hope to see again. 

One final shot of caffeine to come. 

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment