Thursday, October 8, 2015

90- A Clueless Person's View on Penang

No, I have not been to Penang. I want to go to Penang- that is precisely why I find myself in front of the computer writing about the subject.

Quick Google referencing about to happen. Turn back if you find this sort of thing boring.

So, Penang is located in Northwest Malaysia. Research shows that there are three ways one can reach Penang from Kuala Lumpur. You can hop on a plane, the option with perhaps the quickest travel time, but, the longest waiting time (at the airport). You can hop on a bus, a cheaper alternative, and one that ensures that one takes "the scenic route" to Penang. The third and final option is a tryst to Penang via KTM Commuter Train, and then, by ferry boat, to Butterworth. Another "scenic route" option, this one.

I had always had this impression that Penang was not a densely populated place, until I learned that as of the year 2010, the island's population chimed in at 1,520,143. That's quite a lot. Not as densely packed as Manila, of course,

Per Wikipedia.Org, Penang's population breakdown as of 2010:

Mostly of Chinese descent (45.6%)
Malays and other races (43.6%)
Of Indian descent (10.4%)
Everyone else (0.4%)

I have always wanted to go to Penang because from this simple walker, runner, slash wanderer knows, it is the food capital of Malaysia. Mee Goreng, Assam Laksa, Oh Chien, Popia. Happiness. Utter gastronomic bliss.

I still feel like a "tourist" in Malaysia. I still feel like I need to "jump in the lake" so to speak when it comes to being one with Malaysian culture. There are some places which we visit and end up feeling like it isn't enough that we do a simple "look and feel". Ultimately, we feel the need to "be" the place. It's tantamount to migration of the soul.

So Penang, I may not be well-versed with the contents of your dossier, nor have I managed to partake of the smells and tastes of your city streets, but soon, very soon, I should be able to shed the skin I'm in and fall into your waiting, sambal-coated, arms. =)

It's only a matter of time now.

MC





No comments:

Post a Comment