Monday, October 19, 2015

93- Bangkok.


Migiman at Bangkok's Grand Palace Grounds, 2011 and Many Pounds Ago



I am all for visiting temples, buildings, and palaces from days of yore.

I am certain that you've heard this sort of remark before, but, for the record, let me say it again- visiting antiquated places is like grabbing the wheel of the Delorion and meeting Biff in the flesh. It's time travel without the hassles of time travel.

2011 featured my one and only trip to Bangkok, Thailand. I do not have too many memories of BKK in comparison to the huge crate of recollections I have of places like Singapore, the United States, and Malaysia. Still, Bangkok was a revelation in a lot of ways to me.

Food was cheap, and when I say cheap, I mean it. You could get rice and 2 viands for far less than you would pay in Singapore or even in Manila. The Bangkok train system was fast, efficient, and more or less, displayed a sort of cleanliness that most urban centers would envy. Traffic was hell for sure, but, the trains, at least to me, made getting around a wee bit easier than if one had to rely solely on travelling on asphalt.

Whether one likes it or not, he/she is bound to encounter streetwalkers while strolling around Bangkok. Some look like young versions of Fann Wong or Zoe Tay, but, well, carry around Adam's Apples too. To those who are into having this type of a good time, be warned. What you see isn't always what you get, or, what you see might be what you get, but because of alcohol, you ignore the obvious, and get into trouble.

During my sole Bangkok tryst, I had just missed the dreaded floods of 2011. I felt fortunate not to have had to deal with a bad slice of home while there. I wasn't mindful of my diet nor my fitness level while on holiday there, so, eat I did. Buffet breakfasts, dinners, lunches, it all went down the hatch nicely. Sometimes, I miss being a bit of a glutton, but at the same time, I don't miss what what all that used to do to me. Poor health equals low productivity. Not good.

I visited the Grand Palace grounds with a family friend- Dr. Faye, while on a city tour. The tour guide wasn't particularly insightful, or warm, but in as much as we wanted to rid ourselves of her, we didn't, knowing that it was her car taking us around this "new" city. We didn't want to have to negotiate with cab drivers on the way back to our hotel.

According to Bangkok.Com, The Grand Palace was built way back in 1782, and was the home of the Thai Royal Family and the seat of government, for 150 years. Awash in gold and other precious stones, the monument represents splendor from a bygone age- when monarchs ruled Bangkok not only in body, but also, in spirit.

I did my usual train hopping and long walks in the heat while in Bangkok. Heck, I even got lost at one of the train interchanges with my dad, who normally panics when faced with the prospect of getting lost, especially, at night. It seems funny now, but, what if we did get lost? What if I had gotten kidnapped by crooks dressed in leather, with looks resembling those of oriental femme fatales? Okay, so maybe getting lost isn't so bad after all- until someone hits you with the ass of a pistol over the head.

I would return to Thailand if given the opportunity. Upon returning, though, I think I might go for exploring the country's more rural haunts. Bring me to a Kampong that serves amazing Chili Beef and you'll have my heart in the same way Ting Ting had the tickers of Beng-Beng and Kang Kang (note, Phua Chu Kang reference).

And so goes another city. Thank you, Bangkok.

MC





No comments:

Post a Comment